Cetacean is for Sale
What Kind of Sailboat
1983 Tayana 37
A good description of the Tayana can be found here: Tayana37
Why Cetacean for Sale?
The two of us have owned Cetacean for 16 years. Half of those years were full-time cruising years. The other years she was used on weekends in the cool, clear waters of the the Pacific Northwest.
Last year while we were in a marina in Savannah, Ga., the boat was hit by lightning. We had a surveyor thoroughly inspect the boat afterward for structural and instrument damage. The good news was that there was no structural damage. But a bunch of the electronics was affected. We had updated much of the electronics when we first purchased Cetacean. At the time we were hit, the electronics were about 16 years old.
The electronic navigation industry is advancing at a very fast pace. Prior to the lightning strike, our electronics were functional but dated, and not as connected as current technology.
We are discounting the boat because of the electronics. The hull, rigging and engine are in top shape and basic electronics, like depth and VHF are functional.
We are now 70 or nearing 70 and want to do some other things with our lives. This was not an easy decision. We have enjoyed so very much our time on Cetacean. She took us places we would never have experienced, gave us opportunities to meet people and engage with their cultures that otherwise would not have been possible. We are still in relatively good shape; the boat has many more years ahead of her. With a grandchild to visit; and, aging parents to take care of, we need to be stationary for the next few years.
Here is your chance to to get a well founded boat and not pay for outdated electronics . You choose to outfit the boat with the navigation system of your dreams .
Where is the Boat
Cetacean is in a yard (on the hard) in Beaufort , North Carolina
Features and Accessories
- Frigoboat refrigeration system with keel cooler and digital thermostats for freezer and refrigerator.
- Corian counter tops
- Three burner Force Ten range and oven
- New (2017) hot water heater (dual heat source: engine or electric)
- Maxwell HWC windless for all chain rode or rope
- 300 ft 3/8″ chain with 35 lb CQR anchor
- 300 ft 5/8″ rope rode with 35 lb Bruce anchor
- Extra 35 lb delta type anchor on stern
- Stern anchor roller
- Anchor snubber
- Yanmar 4JH4E – New in 2005, installed by dealer in Campbell River BC, Canada. 2400 hours.
- External Racor Fuel Filter with vacuum gauge
- Electric fuel boost pump for topping off filter
- Oil pressure and oil temperature gauges
- Original Tayana main electrical panel
- Accessory Blue Sea Panel
- Balmar 100A Alternator
- Balmar three-stage regulator
- Blue Sky Solar Controller
- 400W (combined) solar panels
- 3 banks (switchable) of 225AH Trojan T105 batteries for a total 675AH (replaced 2016)
- LED interior lighting
- New 40A Xantrax battery charger
- Battery bank switch
- Volts/Amps digital gauges
- 5/16 ss wire stays with Staloc fittings
- original bronze turnbuckles
- most of the chainplates have been replace with new SS , many with new mounts .
- Removable inner stay for staysail
- rear stay has insulators for single sideband or ham communications antenna
- Furlex headsail furler
- Harken Traveler
- Boom vangs/preventors
- Dutchman boom brake
- Strong Track on mast/main sail – for ease of raising and lowering off wid
All sails (except storm) replaced in 2005
- Neil Pryde full batten main with two reef
- Neil Pryde furling 100% headsail
- Neil Pryde staysail
- a set of storm sails
- 4 person Viking life-raft mounted on deck
- 10 foot inflatable Mercury dinghy with electric 12V inflator
- New 4 hp Yamaha outboard – 2017 model year
- Drogue and parachute sea anchor with 300 foot of 3/4 rode
- Cozy Cabin propane cabin heater
- Original emergency tiller
- Monitor self steering – with spare parts kit
- Spinnaker(genaker) with dousing sock
Spares and Mantenance
Cetacean has been maintained and recorded to high standards throughout our ownership.
A lot of spare parts are included with the boat including but not limited to:
- Spare prop
- various pumps
- various filters